ScutterCast FAQs

Use this section to discuss the ScutterCast podcast
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

ScutterCast FAQs

Postby D5120 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:11 pm

Q, What is ScutterCast ?
A, ScutterCast is an almost weekly podcast based on Red Dwarf.

Each podcast is broken down into 3 sections :-

Episode Review
Within each podcast, we will review an episode of Red Dwarf, starting at "The End" and working until they stop predicting episodes.

What's going down in Groove Town
In this section we discuss anything else Red Dwarf.

Parrots Bar
Where we have a general chit chat about everything else.

Q, Where can I download the ScutterCast.
A, This can be downloaded via Itunes, or via the main site. There are currently 2 versions, an enhanced version, which will have screenshot and chapters, and the mp3 only version.

Q, Who is involved with ScutterCast ?
A, Currently there are 4 members of the ScutterCast Team, Antony (Ori-STUDFarm), Darren (D5120), Andrew (Antirealism) and Ian (two R's rimmer)

Q, What do you use to record ScutterCast ?
A, The recording is done using Skype, as there are several 100 miles between us all.

Q, The sound quality is quite poor on the earlier ScutterCasts, there is a lot off difference between the voices.
A, This is due to using Skype, with the way the audio is recorded, it groups all the voices into 1 track, making it quite hard to edit, however we are actively looking at other solutions.

Q, Do you know you've spelt Skutter wrong ?
A, The mis-spelling of Scutter was an intentional “copyright side stepping” decision made when we came up with a name for the podcast. We’d have like to have DwarfCast, however this was taken. We toyed with the idea of SkutterKast, SkutterCast and ScutterCast however decided on ScutterCast for a number of reasons.

a, I’m pretty sure Skutter is copyrighted
b, ScutterCast looks better on the logo that Skutter (in our opinion)
c, Scutter if you look in the dictionary means “To move with a clattering, scurrying sound”, and with the style of the Podcasts, we found this very fitting.

Q, You guys are rubbish, you don't know talking about.
A, At the end of the day, we are nothing more than a group of lads, who enjoy Red Dwarf, enjoy podcasts, and have decided to make a Red Dwarf themed podcast. At no point do we consider ourselves experts, or pretend to be Red Dwarf “know it alls”, just fans….that’s all. If you are looking for a factually 100% correct Red Dwarf podcast, then I’m afraid ScutterCast isn’t for you, however you may want to check Itunes for others.

Q, Is that a Kryten impression at the beginning, if so it's rubbish.
A, We toyed with the idea of doing the Kryten voice however for legal reasons, we removed the “Hello, this is Kryten….” from the beginning and changed the voice slightly, to avoid any copyright issues, however I’m glad it’s still recognisable as a “Kyten-ish” voice.

Q, You seem to be bothered about copyright, however you use Howard Goodall's musical score all through your podcast.
A, Fair cop, the intro music and the background music is Howard Goodall, taken from an Red Dwarf Audio CD. The plan is/was to use the musical score for the time being until we can create our own. All the previous episode are backed up, so once we have our own musical score, we can always go back and add this track to the previous episodes, and remove the Howard Goodall scores.

edit: From ScutterCast 07, we no longer use the Howard Goodall scores, although we are using the Red Dwarf theme, the music is entirely created by ourselves

Q, How can I get my say ?
A, If you would like to send us an email with either comments on the show, or even an mp3 version, please send this to scuttercast@reddwarfforum.com , we welcome comments positive and negative.

Q, I'm assuming if I keep listening, you guys will improve ?
A, Definitely, we're all new to this podcasting lark, and learning with every episode. We are aware that sometimes we are all over the place, however with each episode, and the comments we receive, we are hopefully improving.

Q, How long does it take you to produce an episode ?
A, Normally we will record the episode on a Monday evening (GMT), this then takes the remainder of Monday evening and all of Tuesday evening to edit the audio tracks. Wednesday is then spent adding the audio to GarageBand, adding the chapters and images for the enhanced.
2RsBSC
Nav Officer 2nd Class
Nav Officer 2nd Class

Re: ScutterCast FAQs

Postby 2RsBSC » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Fantastic Bass :)

BassJunkie wrote:
A, Currently there are 5 members of the ScutterCast Team, Antony (Ori-STUDFarm), Darren (BassJunkie), Nik (Nicademus), Andrew (Antirealism) and Ian (two R's rimmer)

Last :(

HAHA
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:45 pm

First. Yay!! :lol:

WHA!!!!!? [-(

A, Defiantly, we're all new to this podcasting lark, and learning with every episode. We are aware that sometimes we are all over the place, however with each episode, and the comments we receive, we are hopefully improving.

Freudian slip!! :lol:
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:04 pm

two R's rimmer wrote:Fantastic Bass :)

BassJunkie wrote:
A, Currently there are 5 members of the ScutterCast Team, Antony (Ori-STUDFarm), Darren (BassJunkie), Nik (Nicademus), Andrew (Antirealism) and Ian (two R's rimmer)

Last :(

HAHA

The names were picked at random, as you can probably guess :)

ori-STUDFARM wrote:First. Yay!! :lol:

WHA!!!!!? [-(

A, Defiantly, we're all new to this podcasting lark, and learning with every episode. We are aware that sometimes we are all over the place, however with each episode, and the comments we receive, we are hopefully improving.

Freudian slip!! :lol:

Fixed, oops
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:09 pm

I prefered the "defiant" approach!! :D
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police