oriSTUDFARM's Podcast of the Week

Use this section to discuss the ScutterCast podcast
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: oriSTUDFARM's Podcast of the Week

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:21 pm

EPISODE 56

A new Podcast of the Week. I’ll dedicate this one to Ray Williams who I know tries our recommendations and who I promised a shout out to. Not that peole should start requesting shout outs!!

So....In this time of new Red Dwarf, there is only one way could possibly go with the podcast of the week. A Dwarf themed one....Not only did this podcast use a fantastically simple and obvious name for a Red dwarf podcast...one that we had overlooked, but they produce an amazingly good podcast and run an amazingly good website. The website is Gazpacho-Soup.com. In the past I have gone on record as saying the official site is the best for official news. And Ganymede and Titan is the best for unofficial news. Well Gazpacho-Soup is up there with G&T. It basically does a news round up reporting on anything that happens in the world of dwarf. It, like Ganymede and Titan, has staff members of The Official Red Dwarf Fanclub and there is little that either site misses by way of news.

Well gazpacho Soup’s podcast is called The Garbage Podcast. Lovingly referred to by all at G&T as the rubbish podcast. Well, referred to that way by Ian...once. Can’t get over that podcast name and how so many have overlooked it!

At the time of recording this, they have 7 episodes up. The first is a preamble talking about Red Dwarf X expectations and hopes. Then we have an episode for each episode talking about the episode broadcast.

The Dwarfcast released an excellant series of instant reaction podcasts. These were recorded and broadcast live immediately following the airing. And they were a lot of fun offering their opinions that later were likely to change or alter.

The Garbage Podcast recorded and released theirs a few days later giving them time to a few more rewatches and a bit more deliberation. The result was a brand new and good Red Dwarf podcast twice a week. Which I loved. Add to that the Red Dwarf Introcasts and I was actually getting 3 a week!

The Garbage Podcast is hosted by Alex, James and Andrew. As i said, we have the RDX episodes. They don’t have a set schedule as such, but they will be releasing as and when a podcast dedicated to Red dwarf news and events. Well worth listening to. And when you have, I’d keep that feed active. They even have a liverpudlian hosting...every Red Dwarf Podcast should have one

You can find them at Gazpacho-Soup.com or search iTunes for The Garbage Podcast

http://gazpacho-soup.com/

ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:21 pm

EPISODE 57

This week is a rather wonderful podcast by Jim Moon. I tend to think of Hypnobobs as two podcasts. One week we will get Jim Moon reading us a spooky or eerie tale from such classic authors as MR James or Edgar Allan Poe or HP Lovecraft. And Jim has the perfect voice for reading these kind of tales. Sometimes he’ll go with a theme such as spooky black cat tales or scary disembodied hands.

But if classic horror stories isn’t really your thing, do yourself a favour and look up some of his other episodes. Because every other week Jim will take a look at something else that he is a fan of and delivers a well researched informative podcast on the topic. Sometimes, these may be a one off episode. But often, these single episodes evolve into whole series’s. He did a single Batman special episode which evolved into The History of The Batman series. This is now 8 parts in length with yet more to come. He is also doing a zombie series, a werewolf series and a 2000AD series. All of these are well researched and, I don’t care how much you may think you know on a subject, you will learn something new that you didn’t know. All of these are highly entertaining and just really interesting. Add to these series other episodes about movies or literature or anything else. From classic to modern. Episodes on handheld camera movies like Blair Witch. An episode on the origins of the Alien movie franchise...There is something there for everyone. Whether you pick and choose your episodes or work through the lot. You will find something you love!

http://www.hypnogoria.com/

Jim has also just released a collection of ghost stories for the Kindle available on Amazon called Seven Of Spectres;The First Hypnogoria Book Of Uncanny Tales. The description reads

“From the fireside of the Great Library of Dreams Mr Jim Moon calls up seven spectres; presenting a selection of classic ghost stories complete with introductions, commentary and annotations plus a full page plate illustrating every tale. “

For £2, you just can’t go wrong!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Spectres- ... 081&sr=8-2

ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:12 pm

EPISODE 58

I mentioned this a few weeks ago. Basically, there has been a group of on line RPG people who have been writing what is essentially a fan fiction since...well, for ten years plus I think it is. Each contributor creates a character and they then take it in turns progressing the story using the existing characters. This story follows the Blue Dwarf, a sister ship to the Red dwarf. Originally, it was sent out to investigate the fate of the Red dwarf. But there have been so many twists and turns and changes in direction and developments to the story that this part seems almost irrelevent now. It also means that it has always proved difficult to jump onboard with too.

Now back in may 2011, an event occurs within the story which makes for an ideal place to jump onboard. With an easy jump on point, they have decided to start releasing these as podcasts read by some of their community. And the odd guest....I think both myself and Ian have been signed up. Although our episodes aren’t out yet.

I’ve seen some of the stories to come and, at the time of recording this, the first half dozen or so are up on the feed. But I am really impressed with the story itself and the quality of the writing. It really felt like Red dwarf. I could almost hear Chris Barrie reading out the story on the episodes I recorded. Unfortunately, on play back, it sounded nothing like. But, for a Red dwarf fan who likes audio podcasts, i would say they are a must listen to. I’m so looking forward to where this going. And with so much story already written and plenty of people contributing to the recording of it, these should be a regular and long running podcast.

Don’t forget also, that this is a not a closed group. If anyone wants to join in and help in the writing of these stories, they can do.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/BlueDwarf

Or search iTunes for Blue Dwarf Podcast
http://www.bluedwarf.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-c_NRRTEp4