oriSTUDFARM's Podcast of the Week

Use this section to discuss the ScutterCast podcast
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: oriSTUDFARM's Podcast of the Week

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:27 pm

Episode 40

This week I have gone with a favourite of mine that I mentioned last week. I first heard of this podcast after seeing a review on iTunes left by Brad (from Appytimes Podcast). It was a negative review, but I thought I'd click on his name to see what positives he had left.....and it lead me to THE one and only BlackDog Podcast. Although I'm sure I would have found it eventually with a lot of my podcast online friends being fans of the Blackdog. So, whats it about....?

There is an intro with Lee and Darren doing, basically, what we do in the Groovestown section. This is always entertaining and fun....the rest of the show is split into segments which is regularly shaken up and varied, making for a really entertaining show....

A segment on hiatus at the moment, but returning soon is called S**ty Superhero's where Lee introduces a genuine comicbook character to Darren. The comic character is usually dreadful, hence the Sh**y Superhero's title. One hero was a shape changer who changed into a fortress, but got amnesia....and so he is stuck as a defensive building with no memory of ever being anything different than a fortress. Another called Red Bee had no superpowers. He did, however, have a trained Bee called Michael in a compartment on his utility belt....

The main part of the podcast, however, is taken up with a movie review in either a Rose Tinted Specs where they look back at a movie classic to see if it stands the test of time. And S*** Covered Goggles, where they unleash some of the worse movies ever made to see if they are as bad as we first thought. The listener feedbacks are like mini podcasts in themselves with many talented podcasters contributing to the feedback.....

The Blackdog can be found at http://www.geekplanetonline.com These podcasts are usually weekly and the hosts are making a concerted effort to keep them below 1 and a half hours......although in fairness, when they've come in at 2 and a half, I haven't noticed. Which is a feat in itself!! It's a MUST TRY PODCAST in my honest opinion!!

ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:31 pm

Episode 41

The Doctor Who Audio Drama's...these are, as it sounds, Audiodrama's of Doctor Who. Where this differs from most other DW audiodrama's is the length of time they've been doing them. They started in 1982 and so, outdate even the internet. The podcast iTunes description describes 170 multi-part stories. 5 seperate Doctors and a host of companions...

...all I know is that it took me over a year to work through them all. They have a very Classic who style to them which I love.

You can hear the quality of the recordings improve as you work your way through the years and years worth of stories. Earlier ones sound quality reminded me of the audio from Hartnells' era...but all of them are listenable.

The only negative that springs to mind is the length of time it takes for them to download. I downloaded all the stories from 1982 to 2009 in one go and it choked up my computer for weeks....but it was well worth it. I'm just glad I'm caught up. Trailer was from the latest story "End OF Innocence" from August 2010.

Download from http://www.dwad.net/

ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:30 pm

Episode 42

This weeks podcast of the week is one I have heard about from quite a few others. They were mentioned by the Cadmium 2 lot and one of the hosts even appeared on Apotheosis Of A Bombast. It is the Creeping With Armstrong Podcast. It is basically a monthly get together of James Randall and Ross Cleaver. Those who listen to For Those About To Rock podcast may mistake Ross's voice as that of Stu The Beard Perry...but it isn't. It is a genearl chat and musing. The two example for discussion given on the iTunes description are Plans for survival during zombie apocalypse to Was Johhny Briggs brother growing magic mushrooms in the basement. That about covers it. Pretty much any topic of conversation goes, but they always entertain. A general chinwag to be enjoyed by all. They're just a couple of funny guys.

I listened when I fisrt heard of them, but it was at a time when I was well behind on podcasts and the episode I downloaded was of a dodgy audio quality. so I unsubscribed. However, Elton from Apotheosis Of A Bombast has a podcast feed called http://www.roguetwo.com which has Rethinking Lost, Bombast, Geek Squared and Creeping With Armstrong on it.....and I'm gratefull to Elton for reintroducing this podcast to my ears

As well as the Rogue Two feed, it can be downloaded from iTunes or directly from http://www.rizingdamp.com/cwa/

ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:28 pm

Episode 43
This weeks podcast is the Inappropriate Coversations podcast. Now this isn't as crude as it sounds. This is actually an intellectual podcast about sex or religion or politics. All the topics that are considered taboo and Innappropriate topics for discussion at the dinnertable! The host is a friend from the Simply Syndicated forums called Greg or GAB. When he first introduces the episodes topic, I always think that it won't be relevant to me and my life....but I always get sucked in and find it both interesting and fun. It's one of those thoughtful intellectual podcasts that stops my brain from rotting away from the monotony of my day to day job. As well as the main topic section, Greg also has a section called "Different Drummer". This is basically his chance to put somebody on a pedestal as somebody he admires. Someone who doesn't go through life as a sheep, but does his own thing for the good. Somebody who basically marches to his own beat. We've had writers and musicians...even other podcasters. I really recommend this show....

Can be downloaded from http://inappropriateconversations.podbean.com/ or directly from iTunes
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Episode 44

This weeks podcast of the week is a Star wars comedy podcast called Star Wars: Gary. The description for this podcast reads-

"After the Clone Wars, Clone Troopers were grown in rapid amounts. With this increase in production, so increased the amount of problems and abnormalities. Some troopers were unable to meet Empire standards and were disposed of. Through air locks, in trash disposals, and a substuate for landing gear; these were only just a few ways of getting rid of the “special” clone troopers. After the fall of the Jedis, a small activist group formed to stop these mistreatments. After many years, the Empire and the Activists came to an agreement. No longer will these troopers be thrown out. Now they will be trained and slowly introduced into the Empire. This is the story of one such stormtrooper. This is Star Wars: Gary the retarded Stormtrooper."

It isn't 100% politically correct, but at the same time, it's not out and out offensive. They walk a good line in my opinion between the two. These epsidoes aren't overly long with most episodes coming in at around the 5 minute mark. There have been 11 episodes this year so it works out at around 1 a month, but they aren't scheduled regularly. 4 of these 10 were from January 2010. Luckily, there isn't an ongoing storyline to follow. Each episode is self contained....and with series 2 on it's way. I really recommend this. It's funny and it's original and it's Star Wars!

Download from iTunes or from http://starwarsgary.mypodcast.com/
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Episode 45

Jay and Silent Bob Get Old. I'm not a big fan of Kevin Smith's SmodCast. I know a lot of people who listen to it, but I could never really get into it. It was just the ramblings of a stoned man who happened to make funny films and was called Kevin Smith.

I've always enjoyed watching the characters of Jay and Silent Bob so I subscribed to this. I listened to one episode and unsubscribed. I just didn't really enjoy it. It was you two that told me to listen to it from the beginning....so I did....and it is awesome! I've had a week off work and am behind on my podcasts at the moment. But I still put these high up on the playlists and flew through them. It is fantastically funny and at times, very moving and very emotional.

As you know, this podcast is Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith talking about how they met and the struggles they've had with Jay's drug addiction. They talk about his upbringing and his experiences, which are hilarious. Kevin tells of his despair everytime Jason falls off the wagon. They tell of Jason begging, stealing and borrowing from Kevin Smith. It tells of Kevin eventually giving up on Jason. Jason's obsession with Greedo star wars figures. Jason's escapes from rehab....everything is told.

Jason has only just gotten himself clean and Kevin started this podcast in an attempt to try keep him that way. It is a must listen to podcast....thats all I can say. But you must listen from episode 1 and go through it in order. The storylines follow on from each other and it is much more enjoyable that way.

It isn't a family podcast though, so don't play it around children. Jason talks indepth about some of his relationships over the years, so be warned!

http://smodcast.com/getold/
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:01 pm

I have to say, out of all the podcasts of the week, this is a must :)
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:31 pm

I'd still rate Dan Carlins Hardcore History higher.....amazing that one! Not really a comedy or owt though
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:33 pm

Episode 46

This weeks podcast is Max Buffers Media Museum. This is going to be an odd one to describe. Max Buffer and Terry Bland host this show in which they use their vast experience in the British TV media to pass on some of their accrued knowledge. With past successful shows such as Bark To The Future (A Tomorrows world for pets) and Hanky Panky: No Thanky (a saucy sex nun comedy) you are sure to find this podcast both funny and interesting...
It's a very tongue in cheek parody of a media discussion show.

These podcasts come out every 2 or 3 weeks and last about 20-30 minutes. Listen as Max and Terry take a couple of listeners letters and come out with a genius idea of a show as they record. Other past successes to spawn from this podcast include Britain's Got Orphans in which The adoption crisis is solved . American teen sex comedies are given a British twist in Yorkshire Puddings. And the secrets of the bacon diet are let loose in Get Your Chops Round This.

Go to http://www.mediamuseum.co.uk/
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Episode 47

This weeks podcast of the week is a good friend of ours who we met at the last Dimension Jump, Fi. She already does the Eccenticast podcast which is a look at life from a younger persons perspective.....she now does a Doctor Who podcast called the Eccentiwho. This is obviously a similar show to EccentriCast, but concentrating on one of Fi's loves, Doctor Who. It isn't restricted to New Who though. Fi is as much a fan of the Classic stuff as she is the new stuff and is introducing much of the classic to her co-host Ally. They discuss things like the Doctor Who timelines, what constitutes a Companion, Timelord Chapters and regenerations....

http://eccentriwho.podbean.com/