oriSTUDFARM's Podcast of the Week

Use this section to discuss the ScutterCast podcast
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: oriSTUDFARM's Podcast of the Week

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Episode 20

This week is another Trek heavy, but general sci-fi podcast- Treks In Sci-Fi. I started listening after hearing about it from Tim on the AppyTimes podcast (I think). I joined the forums and have discovered yet another fantastic community. The podcast covers sci-fi in general whether it's latest TV episodes, Latest Sci-Fi collectables, a classic sci-fi episode, character profiles or movies. Sometimes you get a video podcast. The latest video podcast was introducing you to fan made films. Regularly the podcast is opened up to a forum member to do a show. Meds from Waffle On podcast has just recently done a James Bond episode. Mike from the forum did a Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy one. And they regularly have a Skype meet up episode. This is open to all the community to join in on. The forum also has a Star Trek role play going on which is read out as an audiobook/audio drama for the "Ready Room" episodes. Fantastic podcast and a fantastic community. It can be found at both iTunes or from http://www.treksinscifi.com.
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Episode 21

This weeks is another audiodrama site called Brokensea audio. There are a multitude of drama's that I am still working my way through. here is a brief description of the ones I've listened to..

BattleStar Galactica This is set in the original series. Baltar is in control of a Cylon Basestar and Starbuck is male....and has 2 girls on the go. This was really enjoyable with the original series sound FX, yet seeming dark and gritty like the recent TV show.

Body Slam Alley A comedy set in the world of wrestling! What more do you want? This is set around the competition of Wrestlepalooza and is just silly spoof fun. fantastic!!

Dr Who A series of Dr Who stories. I've listened to a few of these...but it's been a while and I have another site that has Dr Who audiodrama's going back from 1984. From what I remember, it was really good, but I can only be vague. I can't even remember which Doctor this is based on...

Escape From New York Follows the original movie story of Snake Plisken who has to rescue the president from New York, which is closed to the public and serves as a penal colony! Very dark but somehow keeps the early 80's cheesiness. If you liked the film, you'll like this. Simples! (sorry...Meercat ad on the TV!!)

Planet Of The Apes Follows the movie storyline and is fantastic!! A sequel is coming of Beneath The Planet Of The Apes and I can't wait. This was trully awesome!!

Logans Run Again based on the movie. I remeber finding the Carousel soundeffects dodgy, but loving everything else. This was the first one from Broken Sea that I listened to and it is trully fantastic!!

Conan The Barbarian This was good, although it did seem long winded at times. Seemed to take ages for things to happen. I may have prefered this one if it was based on an already familiar Conan story

Mad Max This is an original story which is probably most similar to the second Mad Max movie. Quite brutal and a one off drama. No series or episodes. I really enjoyed this one!

There are a whole host of others. I'm not rushing through them, as I'm relishing each one. I'm looking forward to listening to The Prisoner as well as the rest of the Planet Of The Apes sequals. Do yourself a favour and check them out! Can be found at http://brokensea.com or by searching iTunes for "BrokenSea Audio. Enjoy! And let me know what you think if you listen to any of the others. Give me some advice on which to listen to next! :D
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Episode 22

I chose this one earlier than I was going to, as it gives the episode a bit of a Christmassy feel. Not only in the trailer, but also the parody song used for the outro....okay, so it was a Star Trek parody christmas song and not a Red Dwarf....but we'd left a too late to sort out a Red Dwarf one.....we'll save that for next year!! :lol: Besides, there are many Trek fans on the forum and listening to the podcast!!

The podcast I'm promoting is by an American chap called Rick Moyer and is called Take Him With You. Rick is somebody I was made aware of through the Treks In Sci-Fi podcast. He contributes nearly every week with a parody song that is relevant to the subject of that weeks podcast. Be it Star Trek or Bionic Man. It doesn't matter. He is very talented!! If you hadn't guessed, Rick is a sci-fi fan and as such, his podcasts regularly have a geek talk intro with Rick talking about his favourite movies, current sci-fi TV shows and books etc....But that isn't what hooks me in with this podcast. Rick is a former Pastor and so religion plays a big part of his life and thus, makes up the bulk of his podcast....I know what you're thinking, but give it a chance. I am not religous in the least, but I really enjoy this podcast. As some of you know, I listen all day everyday whilst driving machinary at work. I listen to Geek talk shows, Audiodrama's, audiobooks etc.... But they get a bit too much. When listening for such lengths of time, you need something different to bring a bit of variety...and that is what Take Him With You does.

Not only do you get the "geek talk", but Rick also talks about interesting things from his day to day life. Not only do you get interesting parody songs, but Rick sometimes does audiodrama productions. He is currently running an AudioDrama based on Dickens' Christmas Carol. This audiodrama is a full musical production that started life as a stage show that Rick put on. It features the voices of our good friends Tim from Appytimes Podcast, Meds from Waffle On Podcast and Jen from Anomaly Podcast! And it is fantastic.

Now normally, the second half of his podcast is based upon his religous views (although Rick claims it to be spiritual and not religous). He talks about respect and how can we respect people more, or make people respect us more. He asks how we influence people in our lives. In fact, pretty much anything. What this podcast does is makes you listen to Rick's views, thoughts and musings. And also those of his listeners who respond via Twitter, eMail and Facebook. It makes you look at yourself and I believe it can make you become a better person.

Now that all sounds a bit strong, and I'm sure some of you are thinking, no. Not my cup of tea, but I urge you to give it a listen. I didn't think I would, but I do. And I enjoy listening. This coming from a guy who listens to some depraved and sick podcasts...I tell ya. The secret of enjoying podcasts is "variety". At least check out the "A Christmas Carolled" audiodrama. The production levels are fantastic and really worth the listen!!

The podcast can be found on iTunes or at http://www.takehimwithyou.com/. Also, Ricks parody songs can be found at http://www.christrocks.com/parody/. The Star Trek Christmas parody song we played was actually from an album called Merry Trekmas and can be downloaded from http://www.christrocks.com/merrytrekmas/ which also has the artwork. Please check it out...and leave me some feedback. Tell me what you thought....eMail Rick and tell him what you thought. Tell him where you heard about it..
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:55 pm

Episode 23

Anomaly Podcast. This is another to spawn from the Treks In Sci-Fi forum community!! This is basically a geek talk podcast with one difference....the hosts are Jen and Angela, and both are female!! The difference between these two and say....my wife, these are fangirls. They talk appreciatively of all things geeky! This is funny and entertaining, goes in depth into thier interests. Be it Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek....just about anything. They talk TV, Movies, Collectables....even costuming!! It's nice to hear a females view, because often, their perspective on what makes a movie good or not, is different to our own...really entertaining. You may have already heard Jen on the Rick Moyer Scrooge audiodrama, or the Star Wars In The Shadows audiodrama. I've not listened yet, but I think Jen is joining up with Meds to do a special Anomally Waffle on.... Search iTunes for Anomaly podcast or go to http://anomalypodcast.com/
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Episode 24

This weeks Podcast is one I came across when I heard the promo played on a BrokenSea audiodrama. It sounded like a good idea, so I had to check it out. This podcast basically delves into the archives of public domain movies (movies that no longer are under copyright). A lot of public domain material (movies, music, literature etc...can be found at http://www.archive.org/index.php which is where this podcast gets it's movies from.

This podcast takes the audio from these movies and adds a commentary to explain what is happening within the visual image. Thus making the visual image surplass to requirements. This is perfect for people who are blind or who, like me, listen whilst driving. It is essentailly the same as the "Tell A Story Akira" podcast I recommended some weeks back (in fact, that one is stored on the above archive site!)

The only negative is that, being public domain, the movies are all quite old. A lot of them will not be to your taste. They do however have an extensive back catalogue. iTunes starts with episode 106 so it is really worth checking out the older episodes on the website [url]http://moviesfortheblind.com//url]

Ihave probably enjoyed The Last Man On Earth and also Back Room Boy the most. The former is the original movie version of I Am Legend. The latter is a WW2 British comedy. I am still working my way through them, but there is something for all tastes, sci-fi, horror, comedy, romantic etc...

Check the website link above or search iTunes for Movies For The Blind. Just be aware, the iTunes site doesn't have much of the vast catalogue available
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Episode 25

This podcast is called Gunaxin and comes from the same guys that brought us the Episode 14 podcast of the week- Masters Of None. Two of the three MON hosts join up with one of the Gunaxin article writers to discuss stories from the http://www.gunaxin.com on-line mens mag/site. It isn't always the same two MON hosts. Sometimes it's Mike and Art....other times, it maybe Mike and Jay.
Just to recap, Masters Of None are Jay, Mike and Art who used to present a breakfast radio show in New York and New Jersey. Whilst Art still works in the industry, Jay and Mike bailed out for a variety of reasons. Jay couldn't be happier to leave the radio industry behind.....Mike is desperate to get back into it!
Just to warn you, the Gunaxin site has lots of pictures of busty ladies and is possibly NSFW. It also has lots of silliness articles as well as lots of sports features, but, it is very Americanised in it's subject matter. It's a fairly new podcast with only 3 episodes up at the time of recording this. They've already covered 80's one hit wonders, the top 25 Misters of Pop culture which included the Mr Men, The top fictional gadgets that you wish were real, soda pop failiures, the worse muppets and the funniest moments of Mike Tysons carreer. The best thing was, the muppets episode was hosted by a guy that sounded just like Kermitt the Frog!! Can be found at http://www.gunaxin.com or search on iTunes. There is an enhanced version of this podcast too, so keep an eye out for that!

ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Episode 26

This weeks podcast of the week is simply the finest podcast I have ever listened to. I have others that I prefer to listen to over this....SuckCast, Nerd Hurdles, StarBase 66, Apotheosis Of A Bombast etc..... But all of these "favourites" are taylored to my individual tastes. This weeks podcast is called Hardcore History and is done by a chap called Dan Carlin.

What makes this so great that I can call it the finest I've heard? Well, it's a history podcast....and I'm not really into history. But I LOVE this podcast. It one of the few that I can listen to all day if enpugh episodes were available to me!! This podcast looks at history...in particular, wartime history and it's brutal truths and facts. It looks at how this brutality affected the world we live in today, how it affected the people of the time period...and in general, it is totally interesting and engrossing. Episodes I have listened to include-

Apache Tears which was a one off episode looking at the truth of the Apache. It retells accounts from the day and gives the story of the Apache Native Americans at a time when they were struggling to come to terms with defeat by the whiteman.

Punic Nightmares was in 3 parts and ran for over 3.5 hours. This looked at Hannibal's hatred of Rome and his near success at defeating the Romans. It gives the reasons for Carthage's hatred of the Roman Empire and eventually tells the story of Romes total destruction of, and removal from the map of Carthage. Something that the Allies considered doing to Germany towards the end of WW2

Ghosts Of The Osfront 4 parter that ran for over 5 hours looking at the brutal side of the WW2. In particular, the war between Ruissia and Germany. It looks at Stalin and Hitlers frames of mind. I had always heard of the brutallities that these 2 nations did to each other during the war...but had never heard any specific examples. Dan Carlin gives us some first hand accounts of these brutalities. Brutalities that go beyond just the raping and murder of the innocent. He talks about Stalin's orders for his own troops to be shot dead if they take one step back from the frontline. He tells of how the Russians used German POW's to make roads, holding the naked POW's down in the cold and spraying them with cold water till they froze to death. Roads were made of piles of German troops and ice!!

Slavery was a general view of slavery throughout history. How with the exeption of the US cotton industry slaves, historically, slaves were worth more money educated. People would profit by buying uneducated slaves and educating them before resale. Often slaves ran thier masters businesses for them, occasionally inheriting these businesses when thier masters retired. It was a very intersting look at slavery....some of which still goes on in the modern workplace!! (He must have been to see my company at work!! :D )

In all, I would give this podcast a 10/10 and recommend you at least give it a go. Amazing stuff!! It can be downloaded from iTunes or from http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive

ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:29 pm

Episode 27

This weeks podcast is an audiodrama from Creative Audioscape called In The Shadows. I would say this is a must for any fans of Star Wars. I couldn't believe the quality of the writing and the production for what is supposed to be an amateur fan-fic. This is of such a high quality that it is hard to believe that it doesn't have the official Lucasfilm logo stamped on it.

I won't give details as to what the story is about, but needless to say, with the presence of Darth Vader, The Emperor, Jedi, Smugglers, the Deathstar etc....you will be enthralled. Amongst the host of talented voices you may be able to pick out a couple of recognisable ones......Meds from Waffle On podcast and Jen from the Anomaly podcast and even a small appearance by Jimmy Mac from the fantastic number one Star Wars podcast- The ForceCast.

This is a must for any fans of audiodrama....and any fans of Star Wars. Has to be one of, if not my very, favourite audiodrama....and best of all. Like all my Podcasts of the Week. It is free!! Winners all round!! It can be downloaded from http://www.creativeaudioscape.com/ or by searching iTunes for "Creative Audioscape"
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:46 pm

Epsiode 28

March 20th is World Storytelling day, so we decided to go with The Moth Podcast. Unfortunately, the opportunity to make ourselves sound slightly cultured was missed when I forgot to announce the reason for going with this!! :?

The Moth podcast, is a non-profit making story-telling organization, that was founded in New York in 1997 by poet and novelist George Dawes Green. George missed the tradition he and his friends had whilst growing up of sitting on the back porch and entertaining eachother with stories. In fact, it was his very porch they used that had a moth screen with a whole in it...which lead to the name of the show...and thus, the podcast. It started after Geprge had moved to New York by inviting people for story-telling in his New York apartment, and it has now spread to larger venues that have so far been attended by over 100 000 people! There has never been any advertising and it has all been spread by word of mouth. Show tickets are typically snapped up within 48 hours of release. Many of these stories are true stories and anecdotes performed by writers, members of the press, and other interesting people and academics. They are always entertaining...most are absolutely hilarious!! Ideal podcast if you are looking for something a bit different.

They last between 5 and 20 minutes and come out weekly. Can be found at http://www.themoth.org/podcast or by searching iTunes

ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:15 pm

This weeks podcast of the week is Eccentricast which was started by Fi3 Fi3 who you should all be familiar with on these forums. We met Fi at DJXV where she mentioned starting her own podcast. Darren offered to help and offered advice on uploading and cleared up some audio and before we knew it, she had joined the Fictionshed family along with Novo Babylonia and ScutterCast. She has a section in the Fictionshed forums. The Eccentricast offers practical discussion on issues such as internet safety for young adults as well as whacky subjects like getting stuck in quicksand and the life expectancy of guinea pigs!! Fi3 spends a lot of the time talking Sci-fi to her friends...but I get the impression that they are not as mad on Dwarf, Star Trek or Doctor Who as Fi!!! She had a very funny appearance on the latest SuckCast episode where she dazzled the suckcast boys with her Britishness!! So, give it a listen....

http://eccentricast.podbean.com/