oriSTUDFARM's Podcast of the Week

Use this section to discuss the ScutterCast podcast
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: oriSTUDFARM's Podcast of the Week

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:09 am

Episode 10

I'm going to recommend "Tell a story-Akira" Its on iTunes but doesn't download. You have to down load from the website. The link on iTunes for the website doesn't work anymore either. You have to use the url which is http://www.archive.org/details/TELL_A_STORY_Akira_33 If you manually enter this link, it is case sensitive!! It is not a series of podcasts, it is a one off hour and a half long version of the animated cartoon of Otomo Katsuhiro's Akira. Its basically the audio of the movie but with a narrative describing what you are missing through not having the visual.
The movie follows the two heroes, Kaneda, the leader of a teenage biker gang and Tetsuo, a childhood friend of Kaneda, who is the "runt" of the gang picked on by the others. There is also a group of terrorists who are attempting to alert the world of the corruption within the government and are trying to announce publicly the government experiments on young psychic children. After a bike accident, Tetsuo has contact with one of the psychic children and is taken by the government and experimented on. The story follows Kaneda's attempts to find and then rescue his childhood friend and Tetsuo's mental breakdown as he tries to come to terms with his newly awoken powers!!

The two prints I have on my frontroom wall are as the following. Both have the white border and are mounted in big frames!!

ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:56 pm

Episode 11

This weeks podcast of the week is the SuckCast. This is a very rude and crude podcast. Just ManGuy and Herman having a chat and maybe giving a movie review. Full of side splittingly funny anecdotes, it is definately NOT for the easily offended....but it is brilliant! This podcast wouldn't work with only one of the hosts. The thing that makes this podcast so funny is the banter between the two of them. They feed off each others punchlines and get funnier and funnier as the podcast goes on......there isn't really a lot more I can say. If you like slightly rude jokes, you'd be a fool not to give it a try! Search iTunes for "SuckCast" and you'll find it. Alternatively, go to http://www.suckcast.com/ for a direct feed! SuckCast have also announced a love for ScutterCast and are revisiting Red Dwarf after we have re-ignited thier taste for the "Little Rouge" one!!
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Episode 12

We return to our good friends Scott and Elton from the Apotheosis Of A Bombast Podcast for this weeks choice. They are both huge fans of the Lost TV show and have just launched a new podcast on the subject. Many will be thinking that it is a bit late to launch a new one just before the final season in what is already a very overcrowded subject in the podcasting world. Well that is where they've used thier heads and come up with what I think is a unique take on the subject.

The main problem people have with Lost is remembering all the details of what has already passed. It's easy to forget a couple of things from season 2 that may prove essential to fully understand the opener of the final season! Especially if you have a memory like mine!! Scott and Elton will be looking at Lost that has already been shown. They will be revisiting early seasons to see what things, with the hind sight we now have, may be relevant in the final season. Old theories will be revisited, loose ends will be tied up as best they can be with the information we now have to hand. They will be looking forward at the final season in an attempt to figure out what information we may need to fully understand the finale.

This podcast is just what I need. I had intended to go over old podcasts before the start of the final season, but was dreading having to sift through all the irrelevant info and hours of hours of audio that just isn't needed anymore! They have now saved me from hours of tedious fastforwarding and I am eternally grateful to them.

This podcast has also been picked up by the Lost Podcasting Network after only 5 episodes, so well done them!! It can be found on iTunes under a search for "Rethinking Lost" or downloaded directly from http://rethinkinglost.podbean.com/. I hope you enjoy!! :D
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Episode 13

This weeks podcast is from a good friend of ours who is known as Trekkygeek around the forums and Twitter. Real name Tim, he looks at, and reviews, different Apps for the iPhone and the iPod Touch. Where he differs from most App review shows is that he looks at the cheaper apps or even the free ones. It is an ideal podcast for the iPhone/Touch user that works to a budget. His podcasts are very short and simple to listen to. They rarely run over 10 minutes and offer a look at fun apps as well as useful ones. Recent reviews have included one for iPee, which is an app that informs you of optimum times to go urinate during a movie so you don't miss anything essential to the movie. Another looks at different apps for using Twitter. Like I say, some are just fun ones, some are just games and some are more practical than that. You can search for him on iTunes or download directly from the site at http://appytimes.podbean.com/
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:08 pm

Episode 14

Masters Of None is Jay, Mike and Art who used to do a NY and New Jersey radio breakfast show. They've got out of the radio game now for a variety of reasons and use the podcast to talk about what they want to talk about and to produce the sort of show that they couldn't do on a public radio station. They do movie reviews, game reviews or make definitive lists. These include the best to worst list of Live sports. Seinfield, cool or not. Worse band names. Worse song to get a lap dance to....etc.... The show was deemed so good that Simply Syndicated asked MON along with StarBase 66 to join thier network of podcasting entertainment
Available at iTunes and also http://mastersofnoneshow.com/ or http://www.simplysyndicated.com/ which will take you to Simply Syndicated.
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Episode 15

Podcast of the week doesn't go to a single podcast this week. Instead it goes to a Network of podcasts. The Simply Syndicated network to be precise. I got into these podcasts quite soon after getting my iPod and they are one of the reasons that I am actually podcasting now! They do a whole host of podcasts which include the following-

Movies You Should See. A review of classic films that should be seen at least once in your life!
Make It So. A discussion show that talks about Star Trek
The Definative Word. A general talk show about a given topic. A personal favourite from the SimSyn crew!
For Those About To Rock. A review of classic rock and metal albums. Each episode concentrates on a classic album. This comes with a “Q” magazine recommendation!
Paddy’s TV Surprise. Paddy talks about his favourite TV shows
Hooked. A serious podcast about drug and substance abuse and/or addiction. Tackles harm reduction and explains thw whys and what fors of any particular drug type. This was one I didn’t expect to keep on my feed, however, it is very interesting and I enjoy listening.
Crimes Against Food. A podcast that takes a light hearted view of food and cookery. No recipes (yet). Just a good natter between a couple of food enthusiasts
Games You Should Play A llok at either individual games or a particular genre of game. Discusses the latest and goes right back to the old classics
Books You Should Read. These book reviews are actually done by the SimSyn listening community. Some are serious, some are funny, some are indepth and others are just a quick short review.
....Or Do You Think Thats Just Bo!!@#s Is a live show that was originally started as a way to get things off your chest. To have a bit of a rant and rave about certain things that annoy. It has now changed format to a general talk show. It welcomes listeners to the live show to ring in and chat about the given topic. Recorded and later released as a podcast
Richard and Allison’s Super Happy Fun Time. Another live show that welcomes listeners to call in...as long as you are in a good mood and aren’t going to bring the party down. Again it is recorded and released as a podcast
Craig Bevans Movie Minutes Craig is one of the hosts of Movies You Should See. This podcast has Craig giving you a scripted review of a classic movie. Think of Johnathan Ross on Film 09. Craig could easily manage this. His reviews add humour as well as a good analysis of the movie. All done in approximately 5 minutes. This is a good podcast if you are “on the go”!

The programs lineup changes frequently. If you go over iTunes, you will find feeds for shows that are no longer being produced. Some will return. Some of the current shows will take a break. It all goes towards keeping Simply Syndicated feeling fresh and vibrant! The network has been running for about 4 years and all of the older material if not on the feeds anymore, is available for purchase in their site shop! Feel free to drop into thier forums. (After registering and posting here first of course!!) If you don't find me on this forum, chances are that I'll be over there!

You can download from their site at http://www.simplysyndicated.com or just search "Simply Syndicated" on iTunes.
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:54 pm

Episode 16

This weeks is Pendant Audio. They produce a variety of audiodrama's featuring both known characters/universes and original characters/universes. I'll start with the known characters/universes as these are the ones I currently subscribe to....

The DC Comic Universe. These feature 6 of the most known comic characters of all time. Each character has his/her own storyline, although they often cross into each others stories and share some of the background characters. Pendant also periodically enter into a massive crossover storyline. There have been three of these so far, the final one only recently having ended. The first was called Imperium, the second was Vindicatum and the latest was Ex-Tempus. I would advise that if you decide to listen to these DC drama's that you log onto Pendants website to check out the effected episodes for the massive crossovers. I was listening to all the Batman's when I first found Pendant and couldn't figure out why the story suddenly didn't follow all the previous episodes.....I'd hit the Imperium crossover! Anyway, the characters you can listen to are....
Superman- Last Son Of Krypton
Batman- The Ace Of Detectives
Wonder Woman- Champion Of Themyscira
Supergirl- Lost Daughter Of Krypton
Cat Woman- Queen Of Thieves
Martian Manhunter- Strange Visitor

As well as the DC stories, they do a monthly Star Wars universe audiodrama called Blue Harvest. This tells the story of a young trainee Jedi. He finds out early in his life that he is fated to be the chosen one to unite the Force. His life basically runs parallel with Anakins...and his daughters life runs parallel with Lukes. It is slightly far fetched to make it tie in with the movies but surprisingly, I think they pull it off. It works! And lets face it, Star Wars is far fetched. An example of how they run parallel is when two characters and a wookiee try to rescue a friend from the detention block onboard the Death Star. They steal two Stormtrooper outfits and pretend to be taking the Wookiee to the detention block. On the way they bump into Luke, Han and Chewie, also doing the same thing. The stories don’t interact, but they do cross paths. In fact, they tell us that it’s because of the two rescue attempts that both parties manage to confuse the Imperials and escape. But the best thing by far in this drama are the voices. Especially the first time we hear Vader! I want to swear to emphasise how good this voice sounded....but I won’t

There is also a Star Trek drama called Defiant. It is, as the name suggests, set aboard the Defiant as it goes about it’s business. The storyline seems to have a more DS9 feel about it as not just the ship from the TV show finds its way into the audio. We also have an excellent impersonation of Dr Bashir. The storyline is fantastic and season 1 kept me enthralled. (I’ve not yet listened to season 2. I prefer to keep my monthly audiodramas until I get a few to go at in one go) The only annoyance I have with this one is with one character. She seems to suffer with what I call, the “Wesley” effect. As the Chief of Security they have an annoying bratty sounding teenager. However, this is the only negative and, as I pointed out, it’s not the first annoying Star Trek character

There is also a couple of one off drama’s that they have. Indiana Jones and the Well of life and James Bond- To The End These were both very well done

Other dramas Pendant do are original characters in original worlds-
The Dixie Stenberg and Brassy Battalion Adventure Theater
The Kingery
Once Upon a Time in Vegas
Seminar
Genesis Avalon
Red Sands Investigations
The Pendant Shakespeare

I can’t comment on these ones as I haven’t gotten around to listening yet...but I will. In fact, if you do, drop us a line at scuttercast@gmail.com and let me know what you thought.

Pendant can be found and downloaded at http://www.pendantaudio.com/ or can be searched for on iTunes. A search of Pendant Audio will bring up a full list of the above.
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:48 pm

Episode 17

This week is a fairly new discovery to me. Normally it would be at the back of a queue, but I enjoy it so much I bumped it up! (Sorry to those still waiting!) Waffle On is a podcast about TV shows aired in the UK between 1960 and 1999. Episodes covered include Red Dwarf, Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Doctor Who, Gerry Anderson and more... The 2 hosts, Meds and Mark, offer thier views and put research into the history of the shows in a way that we didn't until episode 4 of scutterCast :oops: . The hosts personality comes across as very friendly and there is a good humour/banter between the two. I actually discovered this podcast from a trailer on another podcast and got to communicating with Meds on the Treks In Sci-Fi forum.
It is a real nostalgia podcast. The kind I have been looking for for months. Now I have found one that appeals 100% It is available at iTunes or from http://waffleon.podbean.com/ Meds has also signed up over here as HawkeyeMeds, so keep an eye out for him online and don't forget to congratulate him if you see him about!

In fact, you can pop onto iTunes and/or all podcast of the week host sites and leave feedback. It really helps the makers of these podcasts to show them that you are listening!
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Episode 18

Episode 18 see's us go with another "geek" talk podcast. This podcast is called Geek Squared podcast and is a fellow podbean podcast. The url is not as straight forward as that though. It can be found at http://twogeek2podcast.podbean.com/. It is hosted by Jay T Fleming and Troop Lee who you may have heard recently guest on Scott and Elton's Apotheosis Of A Bombast Podcast. I first came across Troop on the Geek Out Loud forums, but didn't give it much thought. It was only when I saw some of his posts on the Simply Syndicated forum that I realised I knew him from elsewhere. Then he started to crop up on Twitter talking to Scott from the Bombast Podcast. That was when I decided to give his podcast a listen....and I really enjoyed it. It is geek talk that looks at all typical geek subjects...Movies, Comics, TV Shows amongst others. The thing that stands out for me are the funny little sound bites that are inserted on this podcast. That and the fact that it is a "fly by the seat of your pants" style podcast that only manages to pull it off because of the entertaining hosts. Somewhere that a lot of podcasts fail....who said ScutterCast! :D Anyway, well worth a listen. Use the URL above or search for geek squared on iTunes.
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Episode 19

Forgotten to update this one...better late than never, hey! :?

Remember When is this weeks podcast of the week. The 2 hosts (Jay and Parris) do a gaming podcast called talking about games. Me not being a big gamer, I can't really comment on this podcast but you might want to check it out. In one of thier episodes of Talking About Games, the hosts Parris and Jay went onto a movie talk tangent. This was how Remember When was born. General in depth TV and movie talk that occasionally looks at current box office hits, but tends to stick with lots of classic films for the most part. Usually (though not always) ones that Jay hasn't gotten around to seeing yet. The funny thing about it is Jay's opinion on movies...most he doesn't like and Parris's reaction to Jay's sacriledge comments about things like Blues Brothers, Caddyshack etc...There really is nothing more to it than that, but it is so entertaining! I regularly find myself shouting out loud in disagreemant of Jay. And Parris has an insight into movies that makes me wish he was making movies, not just talking about them. Especially when he covered the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies. The ideas he came up with for how The Matrix should have ended were awesome.... oh well! You can download directly from http://www.talkingaboutgames.com or search for it on iTunes.