What are you thoughts - did you like it? (Poll)

Did you like it

Loved it, classic dwarf
20%
A little disappointed, but might get better
57%
Disappointed, might not bother with the rest
23%

Total votes: 30
Lisetta
Nav Officer 3rd Class
Nav Officer 3rd Class

Re: What are you thoughts - did you like it? (Poll)

Postby Lisetta » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:05 am

I have never seen Coronation Street but I can see why that sequence would be weird. I am sure that the Craig Charles bit would have worked just as well elsewhere without going to that extreme.

I have seen pictures of the BTE logo and it looks amazing. I am sure that on the box it looks even better. I have loved the special features that I have caught online (making of part one, smeg ups, signing session) and I am sure that I will like the rest of it too :D
" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?"
BlueMidget
3rd Technician
3rd Technician

Postby BlueMidget » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:50 am

I don't reckon it's as bad as everyone thinks.
Sure, it's not classic Dwarf, but it's better than nothing.
Sometimes it's best not to check what you stepped in.
Max88
Canary
Canary

Postby Max88 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:05 am

I don't think many people actually really dislike it, most people I have spoken to have really quite enjoyed it. On Ganymede and Titan the overwhelming majority of users were very positive compared to the few negative reviews. I personally thought it was very good, there was very few things to pick at. It looked great, it was funny and most importantly it celebrated Dwarf's 21st anniversary with clear distinction.
Lisetta
Nav Officer 3rd Class
Nav Officer 3rd Class

Postby Lisetta » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:19 am

Max88 wrote:I don't think many people actually really dislike it, most people I have spoken to have really quite enjoyed it. On Ganymede and Titan the overwhelming majority of users were very positive compared to the few negative reviews. I personally thought it was very good, there was very few things to pick at. It looked great, it was funny and most importantly it celebrated Dwarf's 21st anniversary with clear distinction.
Yes, they definately succeeded, without question. It was a brilliant way to mark the 21st anniversary =D>
" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?"
Holly
Nav Officer 3rd Class
Nav Officer 3rd Class

Postby Holly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Gosh its so hard to say for sure. I did absolutly LOVE seeing them all back together again, i cant get over how awsome danny still looks, lucky lucky. Craig and Chris do looks o different i was a little scared but soon got over it and enjoyed it. I have to say, they gave it a shot and they did quite well, not gonna diss them for it. Good job lads, great job. I will be watching it again :)
AJR <3 !!
~"Give Quiche A Chance"~
Dr McFisto
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Postby Dr McFisto » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:57 am

Better late than never,

As I was indispossed and off line when these aired I never posted my views on BTE.

At the time I was really dissapointed and thought it was a bit of a let down.

On a more recent viewing (I spent a few days watching them all back to back Series 1 - BTE), all I can say is that it fits, I enjoyed it a lot more the second time round, the way it had this dark dramatic undertone reminded me a lot of Series 1, which is actually quite depressing as it's about Lister coming to terms with been the last Human alive, this seemed to make his reading of Jane Austin to Kochanski's grave more poignant, as at that moment he has to come to terms with been the last Human alive yet again and he's lost the woman he loves twice now, this was something I loved about series 1 and 2 as they got the balance perfect between comedy and the angst Lister must have felt.

Episode 1 Had a couple of stand out moments for me, Cat's mis-pronunciation of Tentacles and when the guys were in the Diving Bell those made me chuckle. Episode 2 brought a bit more of the feel of later series into it i'd say around series 6 when it started to get better at been a Sci Fi show than a comedy, to me balance seemed a little out but all in all there we're more laughs than Episode 1, the final part was a bit of a confusing affair Blade Runner references and shot for shot scenes seemed detached from everything else, but the end brought it all back together more laugh out loud moments than any of the other episodes in BTE.

All in all it was better than some earlier episodes if taken as a whole, but the laughs were too few and far between for individual episodes, to sum up I liked it, and would (As I have a few times now) watch it again.

If nothing else I think we can all agree it was more Dwarf, good or bad it was still better than a lot of the other cr@p on TV and after all it's what brought us all here in the 1st place and that can't be a bad thing.

A slight after thought, in light of Mr Charles's announcement of 2 new series, maybe these will be the missing 2 (9 & 10) set before BTE?
WHILST YOU ARE READING THIS SIGNATURE, I'M IN YOUR BASE STEALING YOUR FLAG!
cherrybomb_x
Canary
Canary

Postby cherrybomb_x » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:10 pm

i missed the laughter track alot.
i also thought the story line was a cop out, the despair squid episode was amazing first time round.
also, there were loads of plot holes. like, the russian hologram was wiped out by a car and she was supposed to be hardlight.
this is not possible.
whilst discussing this with a dwarfer, they said this was a spoiler to guess the ending?
x
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Great to hear fresh views and welcome to the forum.

Laughter track is a tricky one. I thought I missed it, but I downloaded a torreent in which a fan had added one. And I think I actually prefered it without

As for the story, they just went with a popular idea (Despair Squid) that would give them a semi decent story that would fit in with the very limited budget. Basically, they had to return to 20th/21st Century Earth as it is so much cheaper to film.

What it did do was reset the franchise perfectly. It is perfectly poised for the new series to pick up with the boys in space looking for the runaway Kochanski. There was a lot of emotion in the BtE....personally, I enjoyed it. But not as the 3 parter broadcast. As a single entity viewed in one go, it works, (In My Opinion of course)

As for the Hologram being wiped out by a car. I assumed she would turn back up. The fact that Rimmer would actually commit murder doesn't sit right with me(if it is possible to murder a hologram). But it was pointed out a while ago to me. This isn't real. It's a hallucination which, although exists in some parrallel dimension somewhere, not in our Dwarfers dimension.

Let us know if you disagree. I know once people pointed this lot it actually helped me to like it more
Rudolph
3rd Technician
3rd Technician

Postby Rudolph » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Even if being hit by a car didn't kill Katerina, it might have damaged her lightbee. Or knocked her for six for awhile, long enough for the Dwarfers to put some distance between her and them.