Hate it
75%

Total votes: 4
Madam Flibble
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: The Olympics

Postby Madam Flibble » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:04 am

My sister lives in Sheffield and a looong time ago they hosted some big sporty thing, don't ask me, I don't like sports - lol. Anyway, it just about bankrupted the city! They spent so much on the stadium and other facilities that no one hardly used after, totally wiped them out. That's how great a money-spinner it is for the local economy.
Irene
Nav Officer 1st Class
Nav Officer 1st Class

Re: The Olympics

Postby Irene » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Madam Flibble wrote:My sister lives in Sheffield and a looong time ago they hosted some big sporty thing, don't ask me, I don't like sports - lol. Anyway, it just about bankrupted the city! They spent so much on the stadium and other facilities that no one hardly used after, totally wiped them out. That's how great a money-spinner it is for the local economy.
^ That is exactly what I'm worried about. This town isn't big enough (in my opinion) to successfully host something as big as the Olympics. And there's the usual money troubles, with schools and nursing homes being short on staff etc. There is already talk of building new hotels, new stores and new sports facilities for the occasion. But what will happen after the Olympics? These buildings will just be useless and in the way.
The idea of bringing the different cultures of the world together in a peaceful competition, is indeed a good idea. But I seriously hope Tromsø will never be the site of the Olympics. And imagine the traffic and congestion! I don't think we can handle as many people as would inevitably come here for the Olympics.
Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein
Image Ich tu dir Weh. Tut mir nicht leid.