What do you do with an old, broken laptop?

You have a question, and hope another member has the answer, here's the place.
Gizmo
Nav Officer 1st Class
Nav Officer 1st Class
Location: Leaning on the bar, being bombarded with jokes and fiddling with a blow up Parrot.

What do you do with an old, broken laptop?

Postby Gizmo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:03 pm

This should prob go in the tech section but since I am being too lazy to google here goes...

So I have an old, broken, almost unusable laptop. How should i get rid of it without letting someone unscrupulous steal my identity? 8-[

I have the factory restore discs but my IT friend says that might not be enough...
There's nothing contemporary about wisdom.
There's nothing common about sense. - Rob Grant

D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: What do you do with an old, broken laptop?

Postby D5120 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:22 pm

It depends, when you format a hard drive, all it does it remove the master boot record leaving all the content there, just not indexed (if that makes sense). Then as you write new content to the disk, it overwrites previous data.

With the right software you can read the content of the disk without the MBR (this is how most disk recovery software works).

If you are truly paranoid about your data, you can do a low level format, or 0 write the hard drive, this basically goes through every single sector of the disk and write a 0...overwriting everything.

There's loads of software out there, here's a link to the first one I googled http://www.pcmech.com/article/zero-writ ... ard-drive/
Gizmo
Nav Officer 1st Class
Nav Officer 1st Class
Location: Leaning on the bar, being bombarded with jokes and fiddling with a blow up Parrot.

Re: What do you do with an old, broken laptop?

Postby Gizmo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks Bass I'll take a look.
There's nothing contemporary about wisdom.
There's nothing common about sense. - Rob Grant