How Fast Are You?

Seen some new technology you want to discuss, here's the place.
Martin the Skutter
Nav Officer 1st Class
Nav Officer 1st Class
Location: Where the sun don't shine... a black hole.... where did you think I meant?

Re: How Fast Are You?

Postby Martin the Skutter » Fri May 15, 2015 1:53 am

Slight improvement.
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:55 pm

I'm having internet issues again. These were taken just seconds apart. Last night I was trying to stream TV and it was just unwatchable! I'm having router issues again where it keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting. Sometimes every few seconds, other times it goes for hours without loss.

I spent 2015 swapping all internet accounts to a Gmail address rather than my ISP one in anticipation of swapping ISP. Apparently, once I switch off, I get access to the ISP address for 12 months too, so I think I'm ready to switch.

I love reading over this thread and reminding myself how poor my service has always been and is my main reason for posting these... Just to remind myself that I NEED to change ISP. Probably once we've finished recording the Podcast for Season XI
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Out of curiosity, are you wired or wireless?

If you're getting such variation wired, you have a serious problem.

Do you not have Virgin where you live? I was so happy I could get Virgin at the new house, the download/upload speeds are mind blowing :)

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5966938589
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:46 am

Wired. Pretty sure it's the router... I was informed last time that the TalkTalk system detects the constant connect and disconnect so turns down the speed (frequency?) to try and stabilise it. Apparently, it's easier for it to connect to less bandwidth or something.

That 6.89mbps can run three tv's/devices with Netflix. The EE one I'm changing to guarantees a minimum 11.5mbps which should more than do for me. Certainly a lot more than I've ever had with TalkTalk. It's not like I need gaming levels of speed.
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 am

Also, it's now consistently between 2.7mbps and 3.5mbps. It's shockingly bad! But doesn't seem to be disconnecting and reconnecting as much. Although that might just be me not noticing. Playing with the new Mac instead of streaming TV...
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:09 am

Sorted. Switched to EE. Not being a gamer, I don't really need Fibre speeds. Switched to EE...was still not good. About 4.5-6.5 Mbps (Still better than Talk Talk though!). They sent a technician out who ended up replacing an old Aluminium wired socket out for a copper.Image

I can probably get about 12.5 Mbps if I used the main socket. Bt that puts the router in a position where the upstairs back room has bad connectivity...and the back garden....and the bath!

But this should easily cover my needs...