Cult

Seen something on TV you wanna discuss
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Cult

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:46 am

I started watching this show...and it wasn't very good. Basically the show is about a TV show within a TV show called Cult (produced by the mysterious Stephen Rae)

Fans of Cult become obsessed with the show looking for hidden messages. Enter our hero reporter...his brother is one such obsessee. Then he vanishes after claiming 'he has made contact with them'. Sounds really intriguing?......Well not really. They pulled it from the air after the first half dozen episodes or so and have only just now (a few weeks later) found a slot to air the last 6 episodes. 2 a week to get it hurredly out of the way.

So, is it any good?

The acting is, for the most part, not great. Certainly at the start. The main villain didn't seem to have much depth. A cop who's involved with the group of obsessee's, knows a LOT more than most others and shows signs of psychotic behaviour. The story itself seemed to be a different dead end each week ala X Files. With a little bit more of the mystery revealed to us.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed with the show. But I decided to continue with the final 6 episodes when they started airing again...and I think they pulled the plug too early. Or maybe kicked it up too late. The main villain is now gone and a much larger and sinister villain has been revealed. The mystery pieces are starting to come together a bit more coherently. And in general, it's starting to feel like a series rather than a collection of episodes with the story starting to flow a little better between each episode.

At the moment, I have the final two episodes to watch that aired last night. And whether it is worth watching at all swings on those two episodes. A good interesting pay off that resolves the whole story is needed. A cliff hanger or incomplete ending just won't do now that we know it's been cancelled.

I think the concept for the show is good....and poorly executed at the start. I'll get back to you when I've finished.

Best two thngs about the show

1. The Cult TV show logo....love that. Don't know why

2. The first name on the opening credits is Executive Producer- Stephen Rae....Woooooo, spooky! :)
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: Cult

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Okay. Watched it all now. Definitely finishes well, although it ends with a set up for the next Season which we know isn't coming. This show was pulled after 6 or 7 aired episodes. This was partly down to a slow and not very entertaining intro. Obviously triggered by poor ratings and an overall poor reception. For me, this has to be the networks fault for not promoting it right. They must have scrimped on the advertising for the poor viewing figures. And there was more than enough decent material towards the end to keep peoples interest in the slow build at the beginning. Oh well, I'm not going to shedding any tears.

Overall, it was okay to watch. If you are in the mood for very little commitment and a quick completion to a whole series, this was okay. Just a shame they couldn't edit out the now not happening second season set up...
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: Cult

Postby D5120 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:48 am

Sounds intriguing, but with it being canned I may not bother. Got far too much on at the moment to sink into a new TV series, however it might be something to look into when I have some free time next year :)