Smallville

Seen something on TV you wanna discuss
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Smallville

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Finally finished Smallville...the day before I go to see Man Of Steel. (Couldn't have planned that better.)

I have to say that I resisted this show. When it first aired I heard it was full of 90210 mould teens and was about Clark Kent in his early pre-Superman years growing up with his best friend Lex Luthor. For me it sounded sacrilegious and I refused to watch it. By the time I started hearing how good it was, it was too far into the show for me to be bothered to catch up. When the show did finish I decided to finally watch it. Didn't rush through though, I've mixed and matched with other shows I missed first time around. And I have to say that this was a great family show.
Spoiler:
A show that ran for 10 years! A whole generation of kids have grown up with Tom Welling as their Superman. Christopher Reeves is like well old school now! :)

It wasn't perfect. Some Seasons were overall suckass (Season of the witch anyone?). Some episodes were dire...but overall I really enjoyed it. I remember hearing at the time of the finale airing how some were disappointed that we didn't get enough actual Superman. In fact, I had inadvertedly spoiled myself by seeing the very final shot of rooftop flight scene...Personally, I loved the finale. Maybe it was because I thought that the final shot I had seen were the only shots we had of the outfit, thus being impressed by the 6 or 7 minutes we see of Supes in action before that. But I think it was the way they set everything up so that it actually fit into the general continuity of the Superman world. Lex and Clark growing up together and Lex knowing his identity was addressed. Jimmy Olsen was addressed. We leave off with perry White where he should be....
This is the kind of show I would have loved as a kid and into my teens and I'm glad I finally decided to watch it.
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: Smallville

Postby D5120 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Ok, I'm halfway through Season 5. I'll be honest with you, I'm enjoying it, well most of it. Personally I think there's too much relationship stuff in it, and at times it's 'Kryptonite affected person of the week', but all in all, it's not bad at all.

Hopefully I've have got through all 10 seasons by the next time we meet :)
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:36 pm

It does go heavy from here on in with regards to their relationships. But they also start to introduce some other heroes from the DC world that are quite cool. Some even recurring...But some of the Season finales fall flat on their backsides... Overall, as I said before, I'm glad to have watched them all. I do feel as if I've watched the formative years that make Superman who he is.
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Interesting.

I'll keep chugging through the episodes, and I'll let you know what I think at the end :)
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:07 pm

I think you may be at about the worse era for me....just wanting them to get out of Smallville into Metropolis. And get rid of the Lana Lang love interest and move onto the Lois Lane relationship.
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Yeah at the moment we have
Spoiler:
We've met Aquaman
Chloe at the Daily Planet
Lois kicking around...a lot
Daddy kent has just been made senator and then popped his clogs.
I had some vigilanty chick in Metropolis with similar powers (Angel of Vengeance I think?)
....so at the moment, it's just fallout from the death, Lana is stropping about ending it with Clark...because he can't open up (however the Final Destination type episode was kinda awesome)
and basically financially the Clarks are in the Luther's pocket
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:30 pm

Yeah, this era will drag. But I still think it's worth sticking with. Overall, when it finished, it was a good journey I was happy to have taken
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:45 am

Yeah, it's my go-to at the moment, but with current workload and other gaming commitments, I'm only getting through maybe an episode or 2 a week. I'll already to see it end :)
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Thats about all I usually manage outside of my 'currently airing' TV shows
Madam Flibble
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Postby Madam Flibble » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:39 pm

I watched Smallville all the way through when it first aired and really enjoyed it. I haven't ever been that interested in Superman but liked the idea of seeing his formative years with Lex and how they became enemies. I think it lost it's way at times and certainly
Spoiler:
once Lex left it wasn't anywhere near as good
but I watched it all and wasn't tempted to give up, so I guess that's something - lol. I personally liked the freak of the week phase and have been watching some of the repeats on Syfy. It gets a bit up it's own arse but don't alot of shows?