Star Wars Rebels

Seen something on TV you wanna discuss
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Star Wars Rebels

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:12 pm

I've just seen the first episode of the new Disney produced non-Lucas involved Star Wars. Overall I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Couple of things that I weren't so fussed on, but it definitely gets a huge recommendation from me.
Spoiler:
First the small niggles I had. These are on my first impression and I may have to watch it again (or more episodes) to find everything I don't like... or maybe change my mind about.

1. Ezra's hair... It looks very shiny and plastic. There is no hairlike texture to it at all. That said, Clone Wars started out like this and it just wasn't an issue later on. Partly because they got better at animating it. partly because I got used to the style.

2. The Wookiees. I both liked and disliked the Wookiees design. I loved the way they had gone for a totally different and new model to that used in Clone Wars. Gives the show it's own unique feel (Repeated when we saw Obi wan too...a new unique non-Clone wars design). I also liked how the Wookiees kinda looked like the old Kenner figure of Chewie...but why the hell did they have such short legs? I really couldn't get over the short legs which proportionally made them look like they were born with a form of Wookiee dwarfism.

3. The Wookiees lives were all saved by the 'gang'. Ezra even went off out of his way and on his own to rescue the child Wookiee. By the laws of the Star Wars canon universe, these Wookiees should all (or at least the kid one) owe the gang a life debt. But they seemed happy to go their own way and let their rescuers go off without them.

4. I'm slightly concerned that the Stormtroopers are going to be used as a joke enemy in the same way as the battle droids were from The Clone Wars. I know there is a standing joke already concerning stormtroopers, blaster aim and barn doors. But this is usually justified with the knowledge that in A New Hope, the troopers are supposed to be letting the Princess escape. There's just no excuse for the comedy incompetence here. Yes, sure, send up an imperial officer or two. I can stand comedy bad guy individuals. But you can't send up the entirety of the stormtrooper army. That just kinda ruins the threat they could hold over the gang in the future. I didn't mind the sending up of the droid army in Clone Wars as it was always explained as a cheap mass produced army that is threat through numbers rather than brains. I don't think it would cut it to say that stormtroopers are just stupid. (Owning stormtrooper armour is not influencing my thoughts on this one)

Now the good. I was expecting the show itself to be a lot more childish than it was and was relieved to find the story as adult friendly as it was. In general it felt much more like the classic Star Wars from my own childhood than anything else since the original trilogy. I think this is in part to do with the setting in regards to timeline. It is set closer to the original trilogy so it will feel closer to the original trilogy. But I think it has a lot to do with the musical score too. It was great to hear variations of the Force theme and music from the original triology.

Overall, I'm much more impressed by the show than I thought I would be. It feels like proper Star Wars to me. I feel like the Star Wars I grew up with...the Star Wars that I know and love, the original trilogy Star Wars is actually the same Star Wars in feeling, style and overall vibe that the kids of today are going to be introduced to. A definite taking of Star wars in the direction of the original trilogy and just what we need as we approach the Episode VII era...
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: Star Wars Rebels

Postby D5120 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:07 pm

I've now watched the entire series and have to say I loved it. I really like the fact it was in 'our' universe.