which is better?

Talk about anything else in here.
Madam Flibble
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

which is better?

Postby Madam Flibble » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:06 am

Lovefilm or Netflix? I've subscribed to Lovefilm for years now (although it was through Tesco originally) It's a pain having to view streaming video through my laptop or Wii though. I have Virgin cable and they have Netflix now, wondering if I should change to that? What's the choice like?

Thanks. :)
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: which is better?

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 pm

I have no experience with Lovefilm, so I can't really say. For me, I enjoy having Netflix...but it seems to be missing so much. I'm not sure how good it's library is in comparison. I certainly don't think it's as big as they let on. However, it's easy enough to watch the US version of Netflix which gives a bit more choice.

It's also missing things like a scroll down list of everything available for viewing... All it does is shows you the top 75 (or less) of your desired search. If you search sci-fi, you get a different for the most part list than if you were to search "dark sci-fi" or "sci-fi horror". If you search by title for something obscure, it occasionally comes up. But you have to do a specific search. And almost every specific search comes back empty

I wish they would show everything that fits the search term rather than the 75 it deems most suitable.
Martin the Skutter
Nav Officer 1st Class
Nav Officer 1st Class
Location: Where the sun don't shine... a black hole.... where did you think I meant?

Postby Martin the Skutter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Well don't Netflix have a 30 day trial? Go fo it and try it out. If you don't like it, cancel it. But do remember to cancel it before the end of the trial period though as if you don't, you get automaticlly subscribed and end up having to pay for it.
Madam Flibble
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Postby Madam Flibble » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks. Sounds like it's probably a dud. Lovefilm is quite good but I've found the service has gone down since they took over the account from Tesco. If you get a dodgy DVD they're supposed to send a replacement in addition to your next one on the list but they don't, they just add it back on, got into a right scrap with some woman about it. :evil:

I don't trust trials, I'm never sure that they'll actually cancel your account. I know some things are really difficult to get rid of. But thanks for the idea, I'll think about it. :)
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:02 am

I currently run both Lovefilm and Netflix. Personally I use Netflix the majority of the time, however if you want to catch up on British TV, I tend to find Lovefilm is better.

As for choice, Netflix (UK) isn't bad, there are a few blockbuster films on there, and quite a bit of nostalgic stuff, but the content is improving.
Dr McFisto
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Postby Dr McFisto » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:53 am

Again i use both, both equally have their strengths and weakness's but i've also been using NOW TV for a few months its basically Sky streamed at a cut down price which has proven to be quite impressive.

btw anyone wanting to try Lovefilm here's a code for two months free - 7W7QCTTWY
WHILST YOU ARE READING THIS SIGNATURE, I'M IN YOUR BASE STEALING YOUR FLAG!
Madam Flibble
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Postby Madam Flibble » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks, I tend to use Lovefilm to catch up on series I haven't been able to watch because we have Virgin cable not Sky. Some films too but mostly TV. I've found that Lovefilm's instant doesn't have that much decent stuff on it or it's on for too limited a time. The main reason I was considering Netflix is because it's just become available on Tivo and would be so much easier just to have it on the TV. :wink:
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:54 am

If it helps at all, I spent Christmas with my Netflix account pointing at the UK version. It's ok, it's about on par on Lovefilm. I did find myself still using netflix as my primary though, simply for the 'user' option, allowing you to have you're taste preferences tailored to you as a pose to all that use your netflix account (my parents watched some right sh1te!)
Madam Flibble
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Postby Madam Flibble » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:09 pm

:lol: