Back To Earth. Series 9 or not Series 9?

Want to speculate on the movie, Season 9 or chat about anything else Dwarf, here's the place

Yes. BtE is series 9
No votes
No. BtE is not series 9
75%
I have no preference either way
25%

Total votes: 4
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon May 02, 2011 6:50 pm

I've had a look and have been unable to locate a poll for this. There is a thread where it was discussed, but with no poll onboard.

On Scuttercast 55 Antony and Darren offer differing opinions on whether Back To earth is actually series 9 or not...and it ended with neither being able to convince the other any differently.
Martin the Skutter
Nav Officer 1st Class
Nav Officer 1st Class
Location: Where the sun don't shine... a black hole.... where did you think I meant?

Re: Back To Earth. Series 9 or not Series 9?

Postby Martin the Skutter » Mon May 02, 2011 7:00 pm

No, I don't think it is. I have done, and always will do, see BtE as a special.
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon May 02, 2011 7:50 pm

My opinion is that, until the DVD case tells me differently, it will always be the 2009 Easter Special. Series IX gets mentioned within it and I'm sure events from within it will be mentioned in the future. But it will never actually exist to us the viewer.

We know that series IX has Lister drinking himself to death. Kochanski, unable to watch Lister slowly killing himself this way, decides to leave. Kryten, trying to protect Lister from the knowledge that he has blown it with his one true love of his life decides to lie to him. Whilst Lister is taking a bath, he enters and tells him that Kochanski was sucked out of an airlock and died.

I think the flooding that wiped out Holly after Lister left a tap running could have been a part of Series IX also....maybe even linked to Kryten telling Lister about Kochanski dying. Thats why he left a tap running....And maybe the conclusion to Series VIII is a part of it too. Why is Rimmer a hologram and how the cliffhanger was resolved etc....

For Red Dwarf to continue, there has to be a gap that covers these and any other events. That gap is, in my mind, Series IX
Martin the Skutter
Nav Officer 1st Class
Nav Officer 1st Class
Location: Where the sun don't shine... a black hole.... where did you think I meant?

Postby Martin the Skutter » Mon May 02, 2011 9:35 pm

Of course. I mean if they set the new series after BtE it would leave a lot of unanswered questions. Unless they explained them through the course of series IX/X (which ever it is they are calling it) I can see a lot of complaints.
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Mon May 02, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm sure they will all get addressed one way or another. Either in flashbacks or mentioned in topics of conversation. These will all be "series IX" events in my mind...
ori-STUDFARM
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby ori-STUDFARM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Popular consensus for a while has been that BtE now represents Series IX and is a mini series. Although not confirmed 100% officially, I'm sure I've seen even the most reluctant conceding to this point of view. For the reasons stated above, I am still not comfortable with this.

So, a link over on G&T lead me to a podcast download with a Doug Naylor interview....imagine my delight when he confirmed BtE was NOT series IX. And that we haven't yet seen the series IX events...at least not yet.

http//asitecalledfred.com/2013/01/21/do ... lume-chat/

So....thats it. Back To Earth isn't and never will be Series IX