If movie never gets made

News, Rumours and Gossip on the movie
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Re: If movie never gets made

Postby D5120 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:08 pm

Parallel Universe wrote:
Bass Junkie wrote: I like it, maybe there can be a problem with his hard light drive and he's aged horribly :P
That's an idea, but the Rimmer seen in Only the Good... was a fully alive Rimmer. Ooh, they could find out that that Rimmer is an imposter and get the old Rimmer back, sort of like how they did with
Spoiler:
Lister in Last Human.
Then when they do find the real Rimmer, his hard-light drive could be broken and he's horribly aged. Then we'd go to 20 Years Later... They still haven't fixed Rimmer, and the rest of them are old geezers as well. That's a good thought you've had, Bass Junkie. I've jsut borrowed and expanded upon it.

What d'you think?
Yeah that's cool, I agree, the current (only the good Rimmer) needs to dye, Our Rimmer (currently Ace) needs to come back, as he's screwed everything up, he's aged terribly :)
CharredPC

Postby CharredPC » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:28 pm

I think you all need to take a step back and look at this logically. Let's look at the facts:

1. After a TV series ends, the only way to get it restarted or a movie made is if it's standalone. It has to be acceptable and understood on face value, no prior knowledge needed. No show can ever get backing if they are set on it being a straight continuation. This is a monetary reason; financiers refuse to trust that everyone are die-hard fans, and have just watched the boxed set. So they have to pander to Joe Newbie, who might purchase the ticket on a whim or recommendation, though not a fan. So either it's the perfect continuation (and is therefore a huge box-office risk, costing a fortune to make) or it's some sort of newer rehash (altered and flashy enough to grab investors).

2. So, movie-wise, to get around #1 there's two options.

First is to go animated. I cringe at this idea, seriously. The Star Wars movies were good, but the new cartoon series version is an abomination I wouldn't subject myself to if paid. It tends to be the kiss of death. Remember the Batman cartoon movie a few years back? No? That's my point. If you want an audio adventure, make an audio adventure. Don't distract us with some artist's awful concept of what our Dwarfers look like in caricature. Would you try and do a real-life version of The Smurfs? No. It's just as bad going the other way.

The other option is to pull a Serenity, or a Doctor Who. In both those cases, the premise was re-set-up, re-explained, while still catering to the die-hard fans. In the first, it was as though time passed, but nothing else had changed. It gave Firefly fans goose bumps of familiarity, while tying off and giving a real (sorely needed) ending to the series. In Doctor Who, due to aging actors and nature of the show, they kind of started a new chapter, years later. They eventually brought in lots of original stars, but now the age difference was explained, acceptable. I think that sort of thing would be perfectly acceptable to RD fans. Heck, even McCoy made an appearance in ST:TNG for the older fan tie-in.

3. Here's where the speculation comes in. Does Red dwarf come back as:

a) A very low-budget series of audio episodes voiced by original actors, akin to Doctor Who's Big Finish series
b) A lower-budget straight-to-DVD cartoon or CGI movie, voiced over by the original actors
c) A medium-budget filmed movie, starring all new actors portraying the original crew
d) A higher-budget filmed movie, starring the original cast, set in the future to explain aging

I think we all desperately want option d. However, a or b would be easiest and most appealing to the creators; tiny investment, so any return is good. Choice c would likely repeat the fiasco that was Red Dwarf USA, and I hope to heck someone's learned from their mistakes in that area. We all know what Lister looks and sounds like... don't insult us again :roll:

So you see the bind we're in here. I'm sure we'd all be ecstatic if a Red Dwarf movie brought back the entire cast, gray hairs and all. I'd personally take the campy sets (hell, they can be made of cardboard for all we care, right?), low budget props, and CGI sequences done in monochrome on an Apple IIe. That's not what we watched it for. The acting, the writing, the dialog, the facial expressions.... this is Red Dwarf to me. Anything else is a sad, pale imitation, comparable to painful fan-films. I think us dedicated dwarfers deserve at least a single mini-Serenity-esque one hour episode to round off and complete the series. Sure, it could be long and glorious, but isn't a twenty-minute skit with the old crew finally getting home and living happily in Fiji better than nothing? (Sheep in waterwings? Wet-look knitwear? ...anyone?)

It's now the 20th anniversary. Three days ago Robert Llewellyn has dropped a hint that at least there is a future for Red Dwarf. The main Red Dwarf website says they are keeping a wonderful secret. Supposedly everything will be known soon, or at least by August 24, 2008, when Robert tells all in Seattle. What will the future hold?

We can only hope. 8-[
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:20 pm

CharredPC wrote:I think you all need to take a step back and look at this logically. Let's look at the facts:

1. After a TV series ends, the only way to get it restarted or a movie made is if it's standalone. It has to be acceptable and understood on face value, no prior knowledge needed. No show can ever get backing if they are set on it being a straight continuation. This is a monetary reason; financiers refuse to trust that everyone are die-hard fans, and have just watched the boxed set. So they have to pander to Joe Newbie, who might purchase the ticket on a whim or recommendation, though not a fan. So either it's the perfect continuation (and is therefore a huge box-office risk, costing a fortune to make) or it's some sort of newer rehash (altered and flashy enough to grab investors).

2. So, movie-wise, to get around #1 there's two options.

First is to go animated. I cringe at this idea, seriously. The Star Wars movies were good, but the new cartoon series version is an abomination I wouldn't subject myself to if paid. It tends to be the kiss of death. Remember the Batman cartoon movie a few years back? No? That's my point. If you want an audio adventure, make an audio adventure. Don't distract us with some artist's awful concept of what our Dwarfers look like in caricature. Would you try and do a real-life version of The Smurfs? No. It's just as bad going the other way.

The other option is to pull a Serenity, or a Doctor Who. In both those cases, the premise was re-set-up, re-explained, while still catering to the die-hard fans. In the first, it was as though time passed, but nothing else had changed. It gave Firefly fans goose bumps of familiarity, while tying off and giving a real (sorely needed) ending to the series. In Doctor Who, due to aging actors and nature of the show, they kind of started a new chapter, years later. They eventually brought in lots of original stars, but now the age difference was explained, acceptable. I think that sort of thing would be perfectly acceptable to RD fans. Heck, even McCoy made an appearance in ST:TNG for the older fan tie-in.

3. Here's where the speculation comes in. Does Red dwarf come back as:

a) A very low-budget series of audio episodes voiced by original actors, akin to Doctor Who's Big Finish series
b) A lower-budget straight-to-DVD cartoon or CGI movie, voiced over by the original actors
c) A medium-budget filmed movie, starring all new actors portraying the original crew
d) A higher-budget filmed movie, starring the original cast, set in the future to explain aging

I think we all desperately want option d. However, a or b would be easiest and most appealing to the creators; tiny investment, so any return is good. Choice c would likely repeat the fiasco that was Red Dwarf USA, and I hope to heck someone's learned from their mistakes in that area. We all know what Lister looks and sounds like... don't insult us again :roll:

So you see the bind we're in here. I'm sure we'd all be ecstatic if a Red Dwarf movie brought back the entire cast, gray hairs and all. I'd personally take the campy sets (hell, they can be made of cardboard for all we care, right?), low budget props, and CGI sequences done in monochrome on an Apple IIe. That's not what we watched it for. The acting, the writing, the dialog, the facial expressions.... this is Red Dwarf to me. Anything else is a sad, pale imitation, comparable to painful fan-films. I think us dedicated dwarfers deserve at least a single mini-Serenity-esque one hour episode to round off and complete the series. Sure, it could be long and glorious, but isn't a twenty-minute skit with the old crew finally getting home and living happily in Fiji better than nothing? (Sheep in waterwings? Wet-look knitwear? ...anyone?)

It's now the 20th anniversary. Three days ago Robert Llewellyn has dropped a hint that at least there is a future for Red Dwarf. The main Red Dwarf website says they are keeping a wonderful secret. Supposedly everything will be known soon, or at least by August 24, 2008, when Robert tells all in Seattle. What will the future hold?

We can only hope. 8-[

Morning CharredPC and welcome to the forum. You have some very realistic and valid points in your post, and agreed, option d for me would ideal for me having watched the series from scratch on the 'ol bbc. I totally agree that need a Serenity type film to tie up all the loose ends

eg,

Will they ever get home ?
Will Lister get his farm on Fiji ?
Will it be with Kotchanski ?
Will the cat ever get laid ? :)

Although I'd like nothing better that to see a movie blockbuster, I somehow inside don't want it to be. Lets take hitch-hikers for example, this was 6 episodes of pure classic cult Sci-Fi, however Hollywood took it and broke it ? Not only that, but something that was once very cool (within the right group of friends) had now become very public, and kinda lost it's cool.

Just regarding the comment you made regarding the animation, I'm personally a fan of the animated series, for example Batman: Gothem Knight and the new Transformers Animated Series are pretty cool, and have a positive impact of the Batman and Transformers storyline and franchise. However this is just my opinion. I can't wait for Clone Wars , maybe not at the cinema, but defo something I'd buy, but I guess that's all done to taste ;)

Anyway, lets all cross our fingers and hope Robert has good news for us all :)
Kitsy
Canary
Canary

Postby Kitsy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:00 pm

CharredPC wrote:Here's where the speculation comes in. Does Red dwarf come back as:

You missed out one option.

e) A novel (perhaps complete with audiobooks voiced by the original cast), including concept artwork/storyboards for the series they would have produced if it wasn't for the funding issues

I would happily settle for a novel in place of a half-assed series that would end up feeling like more of a betrayal to the original show than no ending at all. I'd also be disappointed at having a CGI series instead of a 'live action' one, because although it may have the same plot and characters as the Red Dwarf we all know and love, the essence and charm of the show would be gone.

Why they are so concerned with the budget feels like a mystery to me - they were able to pull an amazing first series out of a horribly tight budget when Red Dwarf was first created, what's stopping them from trusting their writing now?
Image Image Image
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Kitsy wrote:
CharredPC wrote:Here's where the speculation comes in. Does Red dwarf come back as:

You missed out one option.

e) A novel (perhaps complete with audiobooks voiced by the original cast), including concept artwork/storyboards for the series they would have produced if it wasn't for the funding issues

I would happily settle for a novel in place of a half-assed series that would end up feeling like more of a betrayal to the original show than no ending at all. I'd also be disappointed at having a CGI series instead of a 'live action' one, because although it may have the same plot and characters as the Red Dwarf we all know and love, the essence and charm of the show would be gone.

Why they are so concerned with the budget feels like a mystery to me - they were able to pull an amazing first series out of a horribly tight budget when Red Dwarf was first created, what's stopping them from trusting their writing now?
A valid point, the early dwarf was by far the best, and spoilt if you ask me, but getting a budget....oh, welcome to the forum btw :)
vending machine 9
Canary
Canary

Postby vending machine 9 » Wed May 13, 2009 1:32 pm

It’s got to be all about the Dialogue,

Infinity welcomes careful drivers, and better than life were the first science fiction books I ever read. They were funny (laugh out loud funny), intelligent, exciting and had an epic feeling to them with well fleshed out characters. I have not read a book since that can better them.

Issues of age aside surly the best way forward would be to do a reboot ala batman and use the novels as the blueprint. Most good films seem to be adaptations from novel’s blade runner for example.

I expect the above has been suggested many times before.
D5120
Dwarf Police
Dwarf Police

Postby D5120 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Welcome to the forum, I would have LOVED IT, if they made the books into a film, there is so much more goodness in them then any of the episodes
vending machine 9
Canary
Canary

Postby vending machine 9 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:28 pm

BassJunkie wrote:Welcome to the forum, I would have LOVED IT, if they made the books into a film, there is so much more goodness in them then any of the episodes
Thanks,

I would love to see the parts of the book like when they are trying to bring the engines on line after coming out of BTL or when Lister tries to escape the acid rain by building the suit of armour which ends up too heavy to move brought to the big screen. You can almost imagine that those scenes would be shot even down to what angles they would use etc.

I love the shows but at the end of the day it’s a different format, a film would just be amazing if they kept to the the spirit of the thing and concentrated on the characters not on flashy effects and cheap self-referential gags.

We know that both Rob and Doug would need to be on board for it to work, I heard somewhere that one is the gags man and the other is the plot man, I does not work as well if you only have one.